Thursday, February 23, 2012

Yet Another Catastrophe Averted

So, 2 weeks ago I had a mammogram. Oh boy, if you've never had that done you don't know what you're missing. And I have Dense breast tissue, so they take more than the normal number of pictures.

I was notified last week that they saw something, and that I needed to come back and have more scans and an ultrasound of my left boob. Now, since mom had breast cancer twice, and g-ma once, it did sort of make my stomach drop for a day or so. But I made the appointment and tried to put it out of my mind. After all, I'm still really young for the type of breast cancers that mom and gma had.

Yesterday I went in, the lady took like, 6 or 7 films. She'd arrange, squash, click the 'take picture' button, repeat as needed. She told me to go wait in the waiting room, they would look at the pictures and see if I needed the ultrasound. Waiting rooms suck, especially when you're waiting for results that were important enough to be read Right Now.

She stuck her head out and told me that everything was ok, the films looked fine, I could get dressed and go. I'm sure I was eloquent and said something like, 'Really? That's it? No Ultrasound!?'. She smiled and sent me on my way. *whew* another landmine averted.

But I know that there will be a time when I step right on that landmine. And it will blow my world apart. I read the Fight-Breast-Cancer page and I read the stories and all I think is how much I don't want to EVER have the need to post there.

On that same topic, I went to see my ob/gyn. She did some computer risk programs to determine my risk for developing breast cancer. [I refuse to take the BRCA genetic test. I know it sounds paranoid, but I don't trust the insurance company to not use it against me at some point in the future. Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that they aren't watching] Even without the genetic testing, I'm at 25% chance for breast cancer. I'm not quite sure how that number works, like if I live 4 lives, then i'll only get breast cancer in 1 of them/ Or is it that in a random group of 4 people I'll be the one to get breast cancer? Or is it closer, like in a group of 4 women from my mother's family line, then I'll be the one to get it? Also, this doesn't consider the chances of getting any other kind of cancer, this one was just breast.

No comments:

Counter