Friday, December 9, 2011

I'm just not that fond of Ladder-Climbers

2 posts in 1 day!! Amazing!!

The week I started my new job the lab manager was sent home on bed rest, she's pregnant but isn't due until early January. That meant they had to bring the temp lab manager in early. I'll call him Will. At first I thought I liked him, he seemed pretty cool. But, sort of like high school cool? Not bad looking, charming, outgoing, that sort of thing. As the days progressed I found myself liking him more and more. He more and more reminds me of High School Cool, and since I HATED high school, it turns me off. But there was more to it than that, I just couldn't put my finger on it. I told MSJ that he reminded me of a sales person. 'Smarmy' was the best word. Will told us (Me, Cy, Jen and Jean) a few days ago that he had been lab tech, he earned an MBA, and now was trying to break into the Lab Manager position.

I finally figured out what I don't like about him. He is a sales person, but what he's selling is himself to the higher management. He doesn't (yet?) feel any responsibility for, or to, the members of the lab. He has his best interest in mind. The permanent lab manager (I'm calling her May) is genuinely concerned with the welfare of the lab and it's members, and that it is functioning properly. I think I'll be glad when she comes back.


No comments:

Counter