Thursday, September 8, 2011

A New Oppurtunity

Recently something big has been looming in my mind. It took me awhile to figure out what it was, but when it did it was like stadium lights in my head.

MSJ and I went to Minnesota to have a vacation with some of his friends from seminary.  It was only a week, but it was so much fun!  The highest temp one afternoon was something like 84, the lows were down in the 60's, we slept with the windows open and a blanket on the bed.  The cabins didn't even HAVE air conditioning!

In the past, when I was on vacation, I enjoyed it, but I was usually not dreading going  back to work.  Not even with my previous PI.  This time, though, the idea that I had to go back to work filled me with dread whenever I thought of it.

Big Conclusion:  I don't like my job anymore!

This totally blew me away. I've never really had a job I dreaded going to. But lately, I have come to abhor some major parts of my job.  One of the key things to our job is bleeding mice so we can test for antibodies and bacterial loads and all sorts of things.  I don't want to do that anymore.  It's starting to hurt me, especially when we have to do it several times on a single animal. Another thing I don't want to do anymore is give animals terrible diseases and watch them die slowly.  I know we do good work, we have helped push an antibiotic through the CDC so that other countries, countries with yearly outbreaks of our agent, have another tool to fight this infection.

So, I decided to start putting out feelers, see what was out there.  Now, I'm not going to do something stupid like quit my job in this economy where NIH approved grants are being cut and grant applications are being rejected at heretofore unseen rates.  But I wanted to see if there was anything else I might be interested in.

So I looked for a couple of weeks, nothing really interesting came up (There was a job listing for an Autopsy Assistant...blech!).  I found a position, it sounded like it might be ok so I submitted my CV for the position.  A lady called me, the position I applied for was for post-doc but they liked my resume, would I Like to come in for an interview? This was for an animal work lab up in the Medical Center which, on a good day, is 30-40 minutes into Large City.  On a bad day, with really bad traffic, it could be up to an hour and a half.  I am not interested, thank you.

Now, I haven't been to an interview in 6 years, so I figured that an interview to a job I had no intention of taking seemed like a good place to  freshen up my interview skills.

OhMyGosh, ya'll, this is a COOL job!!!  There is a hospital system that is setting up a research facility.  There will eventually be something like 100,000 animal cages.  That's HUGE!  And they need people to start up these research labs.  This is such a rare oppurtunity.  To get into a facility at the bottom like this, you never find these jobs, you hear about them but only from people who have been in facilities a long time.  They liked me, it was a good interview, and I was informally told that they thought i would be a good fit and they asked what my salary range would be, and we parted ways. 

I didn't hear anything, so I of course thought the worst.  But I called them last week and they said that yes, they were planning on offering me the job, but they had to CREATE the job for me to fill, and the red tape would take awhile.

But YAY!! fun new job!  Hopefully not a very long learning curve.  New people! Boo, I will have a 2 hour commute, 1h in 1h out.  I think it's still YAY!, though.

2 comments:

ste said...

Congratulations!

rockle said...

awesome! and it sounds like a bad commute - it is - but when you love your job, it's worth it.

Counter