Monday, March 8, 2010

question for the readers

I went ahead and sent the blanket. I put a note in explaining that it was imperfect, but made with love. I'm not sure she'll keep it, but even if she gives it away it will make a baby warm and happy, so I'm ok with that. Rather like releasing it into the world. It will land where it's supposed to.


I have a friend. Ok, well, we were friends in high school and college, but her husband doesn't really like me, so for the last 4 years or so we haven't been in touch. But we're Facebook friends.

She's expecting her second child any day now. I made a blanket for him.

I realize that I'm not sending the blanket for her, I'm sending it for me. I would like to think that if I had such good news to share that she might care enough about the friendship we had to make the gesture for me, so I'm making the gesture for her.

The thing is, it's not the best blanket in the world. I started it several years ago with a larger needle than I used to finish it, so one end is definitely a different pattern, and longer than the rest, so the whole thing is sort of square that is longer at the top than at the bottom.

On the other hand, it's a beautiful soft blue and the yarn is super soft.

So, the question is: Do I send her this slightly deformed looking blanket, or do I just let the whole thing go? Does the fact that it's rather mis-shapen send the wrong message? Like, that I cared enough to make the blanket but didnt' care enough to make it look better than it is?

Help me!

3 comments:

rockle said...

Me? I wouldn't care. I might not even notice. But I am one of those people who loves presents of the handmade variety. So. I am no help, as usual.

morethananelectrician said...

Crap...that is a tough one. Some people are "funny" about stuff like that, but handmade stuff is always cool for us...time is very valuable.

SUEB0B said...

Send it with a note explaining. A friend will love it.

Counter