Wednesday, February 10, 2010

TA-DA!!

The final act!

My cat Howler now has the same upper respiratory infection that Annie had. I took him to the vet tonight. He stopped coughing. Apart from a very slightly elevated temp, he had a normal exam. No antibiotics. But got a lecture on how cats can get heartworms and I should have my cat on Revolution ($20/month/cat=$60/month) and that this could be the beginning symptoms of heartworms and I should get a test.

(sigh) I have no money left. I had $71 left in my savings account after all of Annie's medical stuff. That was it. I understand that the vet is probably coming from genuine concern for my cat, that cats do get heartworms and it's a terrible thing when it is something you can prevent. But I am OUT OF MONEY. This is it. I emptied the savings account. Paid some out of pocket. The rest was on my credit card.

I don't have money for a test for heartworms.

Besides, I know what's wrong with him. He has the same upper respiratory infection that Annie had. Cough and sneezes. Because 90% of the time it's not the great big thing that's wrong. It's not heartworms. It's just a respiratory infection.

But did I leave with antibiotic? No. Why? His exam was normal. No coughing, no wheezing, no nasal or eye discharge. But, I said, that's because I caught it really early, that he had started coughing this morning, even if he wasn't coughing right that moment. No. Normal Exam.

Tonight he is miserable. coughing 3 or 4 times a minute. Sneezing every couple of minutes. Poor baby. So first thing in the morning I'm going to call the vet and say, 'He is coughing 3 or 4 times a minute, and sneezing, too. I want my Clavamox, please!'

And will they believe me? Probably not. But that's ok. I'll still get my antibiotic and my cat can start to feel better soon.

1 comment:

rockle said...

man. you poor thing. hope the cats feel better soon so that you can get some rest / peace soon.

also -- i see that you are reading "maskerade" by pratchett. you will not be disappointed.

Counter