Saturday, January 2, 2010

It's got to be a better year

So, I decided that I wanted to do something cool for New Year.

It has become something of a tradition that when I don't go to Illinois with mom and dad to go see a friend of mine down the coast aways. I also was going to join an old friend in a medium-sized town in the central part of the state.

I had no problems, went to my friends house, I went to their Goodwill (awesome store!) and found a cute pair of jeans in my size for $6, and I found a previously viewed but never actually checked out copy of Star Trek for $8. I had a very nice time, as always. We went to see Sherlock Holmes.

And then I left to go to SA.

On the way, about an hour into the drive I heard POP! SSSHHHHHHSSSHHSHSHSHSS! CRAP! I had a flat tire. I pulled over, a nice family stopped to help me. I opened the back of my car, and instead of a full-sized spare, which is what is supposed to be there, I found a donut. Now, it was a new donut and still aired up, but a donut nonetheless. I called the Firestone locator number and tried to find a store. The closest one was still 100 miles. My friend went online and tried to help me but I ended up at a random Tire Repair shop in the next small town, where I discovered that I didn't get a flat, I got a flat on the sidewall. That can't be fixed. I had to get a new tire. It just happened in this dinky town (with a guy helping me that only 2 top teeth, one of which was black and rotten) the tire repair shop had the EXACT same tire as I needed. Subaru's are 4-wheel drive. They must have 4 identical tires. He had the same tire, same brand, same size, and the tread was a perfect match. It cost me $100.

The night was cold, but the wind was brutal, and I was not even close to having enough layers of clothing on. It was very very cold, and by 1am I had a headache from hell, and I had just spent $20 for a beer. $15 for the cover charge, $4 for the beer and $1 tip. It was a rock/techno bar. I hate techno. HATE TECHNO. I think my ears were bleeding by the time we left. I tried to hide in the bathroom, which was insulated and warm, but someone was smoking in a very small room and I walked in and starting coughing. We were only in that bar for 20 minutes, which was good and bad. good, I had a headache and just wanted to go back to the hotel room, bad, I just spent $20 for a beer.

We got up in the morning I packed and went out to put my stuff in my car, but my car wasn't there. Oh Shit! I thought. Someone Stole my CAr!! Wait! No one wants to steal a subaru forrester. Yep, you guessed it. It had been towed. Because apparently there is a one-car-per-room clause that I didn't know about. It wasn't posted on the entrance that I went in on, and it wasn't posted in the room. It cost me $240 and an hour of my life to get my car back. So I parked my car in a flat lot for $5 and we went to eat. Where I somehow managed to get black grease all over the leg of my khaki pants.

All total for the 24 hours (3pm to 3pm), including gas, food, the tire and tow, I spent $380.

I really thought this would be an awesome weekend. Drinking and fun and bar and party and all that stuff you do when you're young and carefree. As I went to bed at 1:30, headache, freezing, upset stomach, I had a revelation. I would have had just as much fun, maybe even more fun, having a party/get-together here in town with my friends with a little champaign and party favors and just enjoying company.

Crap. Does that mean that my taste's are maturing, or is it that I'm just getting old?

Dear God, Seriously? I mean, really? flat tire, tow, ruined pants? $400 for 2 days? The rest of 2010 HAS to be better than this. It just has to be. If this is the trend for the rest of the year I'm not sure how long I'll be able to hold onto my sanity. Amen.

1 comment:

morethananelectrician said...

Yuck! Kind of a good story to read before I make a trip of my own...maybe I'll stay home. Things have to get better from here.

Counter