Friday, December 18, 2009

Hospital Pharmacy

So, we're attached to a Hospital. A state Hospital that has all of the features of any other State Hospital.

I'm in research. I'm not a clinician, I'm not a nurse, I'm not associated in any way with what goes on in that hospital. I am often exempt from some of the rules that those with direct patient care have to follow, simply because I don't have the same restrictions.

In the last 6 years, whenever I need something from the pharmacy (antibiotics, isoflurane, stuff like that) I simply called the storeroom, told them what I needed and picked it up. Simple, right? Apparently Official Pharmacy Protocols dictate that in order to pick up an item right away, I have to have my Form 16 in their little in-box by 10AM for same day pickup. Otherwise it will be available the next day.

I didn't know this. In 6 years I have not ever been told I need to do this. 6 years.

All I need is sterile water. It's specific water, it has to be pyrogen free, which means it has been tested to show that it does not, on its own, to have any fever-inducing properties. This is not available at any of the regular storerooms that I have access to as a researcher. The only place to get it is from the hospital Pharmacy.

I went to go pick it up. It's a very small box, maybe 3"x3", 25 vials of 10ml each. I want 4. This is a simple request. One that should take, maximum, 5 minutes. No no, not today. Today I had to FAX over the order for 4 3"x3" boxes. Will it be ready today? 'I'm not sure'. ...????? WTH? Seriously, it's WATER. WATER people.

Ok, I could see maybe an actual drug, you have to wait in line blah blah blah. But really. WATER?!?!?!?!?

In the time it will take you to read the fax, type it into the computer, put it on a shelf for me and then CALL me for it to be picked up, you could just have let me have it when I walked over there, and had 3 or 4 extra minutes to process the next request.

*shaking head* Really? for WATER???

Can I use the tag 'rant' and 'speechless' in the same post??

1 comment:

SUEB0B said...

Under new management?

I'm glad they are keeping the world safe from water, though. Who knows what dastardly use it could be put to?

Counter