Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Christmas Party

So tonight I helped my friend clean his house.

WHAT? you might ask yourself, and reasonably so. I don't like to clean my own house, why would I go help someone else clean theirs?

Well, this particular friend has agreed to let me have my Christmas party at his house. He's terrible housekeeper. I'm not the best in the world, but he's pretty bad. I polished wood (I'll never have wood paneling in my house. ever) and when I got to his dining chairs, they were growing mildew on the braces. Not terribly, but mildew none-the-less. And his garage, holy cow. It smells like a musty moldy room that never got opened to the air. It made me cough.

Anyway, the house looks pretty good already, and he's having the carpets cleaned tomorrow. The house will look really nice come saturday evening.

I helped him on saturday, too. We put up some of his decorations.

Tonight he told me he was glad that I asked him to do it at his house, and glad that he agreed, because it made him decorate and put him in a better mood. He lost his Dad and Stepdad within 6 weeks of each other this summer/fall. I can't imagine how hard Christmas must be this year for them, for the whole family.

I've decided that I'm not going to Illinois with my mom and dad this year. Many years I went because it meant so much to Grandma. Grandpa is beginning to lose reality, he doesn't always recognize my cousins, he knows he has grandkids, but doesn't know who J and K are specifically.

So this year, for the first time in many years, I'm going to take my Christmas break for myself. I'm going to go see a friend of mine on the 27 and 28, maybe the 29, then go to another town with a friend I haven't seen in 10 years and have a fun New Year's Eve. I'm very excited. Last year I spent New Year's Eve in a crappy hotel in Little Rock, Arkansas with my parents. We were asleep by 11pm.

I wondered away a little. So, this weekend Christmas Party. I've invited my Movie Night friends and some work and other friends. Right now we've got 8 people for sure, with the possibility of up to 15 or so. I think it will be lots of fun. We'll have Spiced Apple Cider (really good with a little Wild Turkey), I think Champaign Punch, sausage balls, queso, spinach and artichoke dip, and right now some desserts. I think there will be some more food, but I haven't thought of else. My very good friend Karen used to organize conventions, so she's going to give me some helpful hints, we're having lunch on thursday.

I think that's it for tonight.

I'm going to try to post a little more often than I have been lately. I like my blog, and I like TO blog, but it seems to be at the bottom of my to-do pile.

1 comment:

rockle said...

i used to have a holiday cocktail party every year (after we got married but before we got the cupcake). they're so much fun! if you are looking for something else to make sure you have "enough" food, i have found that a small spiral ham from the grocery store, some sandwich rolls, and a little cheese-and-fruit tray are nice ways to fill out the "buffet." (my cheese trays always have sharp cheddar, Jarlsberg, and smoked gouda, and then red and green grapes and some canteloupe and/or honeydew balls -- your mileage may vary, obviously.) and then i end up eating 50% of the cheese tray myself, because i love me some cheese!

and i am with you on the blogslack problem: i want to do it, and i try really hard to do it every day, but it gets harder and harder as the days get shorter and shorter (and the to-do lists get longer).

oh, and let me know if you want my banana bread recipe.

Counter