Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Every breath is a risk

This morning on my way to work I went through an intersection that is sometimes a little unsafe. People run the red light often, and you have to watch carefully. When the light turns green, I always look at the cross traffic to make sure everyone is slowing down for the red light.

This morning I looked, didn't see anyone so I went through about a second after it turned green, and was glad I did.

Just as I cleared the intersection a small Ford SUV blew through the light at close to 40mph. Fortunately, the car behind me was a little slow getting going.

This was so close to being a catastrophic event that it gave me a rush of adrenaline. I started sweating and shaking and had to pull over until it all stopped.

A second earlier and he would have T-boned me. A collision at that speed would have been a severe life-threatening injury, possibly death.

Life is a risk. Every breath we take, every time we get in the car, every heartbeat is a risk. You never know where death, disability, life changing events will come from.

Dear God, remind me always that we take this minute, day, life for granted, but remind me also that this life is still a transitory one, and that the next life is one much better than this one. Amen.

1 comment:

SUEB0B said...

In situations like that, my temptation is to chase after that person and catch them and shake them and say "DID YOU KNOW YOU ALMOST KILLED ME?" but alas, my fantasy ends without me doing anything.

Counter