Friday, July 10, 2009

Does 2 days off work count as a vacation?

I'm about to start losing vacation days, I'm reaching my maximum accrual limit, and extra hours are rolled over into sick time. Which sucks, because when you leave or retire, you don't get paid for sick leave that you have accrued.

As an aside, my dad worked for the Large City Police Department, and when he started there wasn't a limit on accruals, and they paid sick leave, so my dad didn't work for a year, they paid him out of sick leave and vacation time, and THEN he retired. Nice.

Anyway, I decided to take next thursday and friday off, I called a dear friend of mine, and we are going to New Orleans next week. I'm very excited.

Now, we just got our clearance to start our animal again, so my boss is chomping at the bit to get started doing experiments again.

Let's look at my initial schedule next week:

Monday: Dr. appointment for mom, starting at 6:45, going until I don't know when, I might or might not make it into work
Tuesday: Neuro appointment at 2:30 in the afternoon, further north, much closer to Large City than I am, which means that I would need at least a half day to accomplish this.
Wednesday: work
Thursday and friday: New Orleans.

I didn't think I would push my boss that far, so I rescheduled the neuro appointment, and will try very hard to get to work in the afternoon, I will work all out tuesday and wednesday, and be gone! gone! thursday and friday.

I also missed a dentist's appointment this week.

I rescheduled both for the 29th. I'll be gone all day from work, dentist in the morning, neuro in the afternoon. And besides, there is a part of me that really doesn't want to go. I really don't want to know.

I think I might try to find someone who can go with me. Because I'm a little scared. But not my parents. Not yet. I don't want to worry them unnecessarily. If it's not bad news, then no big deal. If it is, then I'll update them then.

No comments:

Counter