Sunday, April 5, 2009

Who I am

I ticked off the Pastor's wife at lunch today.  I didn't mean to.  Another man, Steve, and I kind of feed off each other, and we get to talking science vs religion.  This grossly upsets Pastor's wife.  She has no tolerance for what appears to be a lack of faith with regards to science.  Not that this is bad, she is in her mind guarding against unfaithfulness and false teaching, and she is admirable in her defense of faith.

I  am a scientist.  I have been since I was a kid.  I am now in training.  It is my job to question, design experiments, read results, refine experiments, and tease out explanations.  I have been this way for a long time, even as a kid I did this sort of thing.  I would ask a question.  I would even design easy experiments for myself.

God created me as a scientist as much as He created our Pastor to be a Pastor, as He created Jen to be a writer, as He created doctors, lawyers, teachers, physicists, mathematicians, artists, dancers, musicians, cooks, architects, actors, you name it.

So I believe that if God "created my inmost being; [He] knit me together in my mother's womb" (Psalm 139:13), he deliberately created me to be a scientist.

And if God created me to be this way, there must have been a purpose.  So I question.  I question creation vs geology and physics.  I question age of the earth in the biblical record vs age of the earth in geological and radioactive records.  I question my faith at its deepest point.  God did not see fit to give me gift of blind faith, or even shaded faith, for that matter.  He gave me the spirit to find explanations within the natural world that show the evidence of biblical truth.

This does not degrade my faith.  My faith is pure and strong.  That Christ was born a man, crucified, raised, and will come again.  I am a faithful servant.  I attend church most weeks, not because I have to, but because it is profitable to both my faith and my person.  I confess daily, weekly my sins, and I receive the absolution with a full and peaceful spirit.  I take communion knowing well what it is that I do, and I receive the blessings from the same.

Somehow I reconcile my education and my faith.  It is an ongoing  exchange.  But my faith will win out.  It always does.

I am a Christian, and I am a Scientist.  Thanks be to God.

1 comment:

SUEB0B said...

My church doesn't have a problem with this, as we are not dogmatic people. But I often wonder if God would want people to cling to false beliefs and call them faith.

The interesting part to me is that so many people don't understand is that scientists have no investment in the explanation for things, only that the explanations make sense.

For instance, someone could come up with an alternate theory to gravity tomorrow, and, if it made perfect sense when tested against all the evidence we have, scientists would say, "Oh, we were wrong and this is more likely correct," and move on without a backward glance.

I think we were given these marvelous big brains for a reason and that we should work them as hard as possible. I believe that glorifies God more than blind faith.

Counter