Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Too Old

Another of my friends is pregnant. This is their 3rd child. She said, and I quote, "I wanted to have one more before we got too old." She is 28.

I told her to bite me. I said, "Bite. Me."

Her husband asked what I said. I repeated it. He said, yeah, that's what I thought you said.

(sigh) I'm at a loss. There is nothing I can do to fix this. There is nothing I can do to change it, or to influence it. Nothing.

So I hug them and tell them I'm happy. And I am. I want nothing more than for my friends to have happy healthy children who live to a ripe old age. I want to watch my friends' kids grow up and go to school and have boyfriends and go to college and live life.

But sometimes, sometimes.

Dear God, WTH??? Amen

ps. I feel like I've prayed this several times already this year. Do you think that's good, or bad?

3 comments:

rockle said...

oh, man, i have been there. and you know what? "bite me" is way better than what i said one time -- a popular two word phrase that rhymes with "duck shoe."

Jolly Johnstons said...

Wow, it stinks that people don't have tact. It would have been perfectly acceptable to say, "We wanted another one." or "We wanted another one before there's a huge gap between the kids." But most likely, thought wasn't given before the comment.

NGS said...

Yeah, I totally feel you. I have friends who had children right out of high school and they are still shocked when my husband and I show up with no kids and no thoughts of kids. One of them said something very similar to me, about if I ever decide to have kids, I'll be in a wheelchair for their high school graduation. Totally tactless and hurtful.

I'm sorry you had to deal with that.

Counter