Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Maddie

Maddie Spohr's funeral is today at 2:30 in Hollywood Hills, CA.

Her mother is one of the multitudes of strong women and men that have had to bury their children too young, too soon.

As I think about this (and cry, too), I think that my family must be truly blessed. My grandmother (mom's mom) was one of 9 kids, and in all of those family members, I don't know of any of them who has lost a child too young. Not one. I can't even think of any of those children with serious, life threatening illnesses.

My dad was one of 7 kids, there has only been one child, a very sick newborn girl. And again, we must be blessed by God.

Thank you, God, for the gift of healthy children. Keep us strong in all things, safe in your arms. Amen.

2 comments:

SUEB0B said...

Yes, I wonder if it was easier when people expected to lose many children to diseases that we can now immunize against? I don't know. My mom had a child that survived only a day or so, my brother, and I know he is still close to her heart more than 50 years later.

Scientific Lutheran said...

I've wondered the same thing. Is it better to have had the children and lost them, or to not have had them at all? Was it better 70 years ago, when it was the norm that most women lost a child, or better now?

This goes to husbands and marriage, too.

Counter