Friday, April 17, 2009

BCBS is about to start sucking...

I take Lamictal for my bi-polar. It's an expensive drug, the name brand for 180 pills is something like $1200. I tried the generic, but I didn't feel like I respond very well, I just didn't feel like I was in control of my brain.

Up until about 2 weeks ago, my co-pay for the Name Brand over the generic was about $150, more than my standard co-pay, but doable. Now the generic price has dropped A LOT, and now my co-pay for Name Brand is $729. Yes, $729. However, because I have insurance, GlaxoSmithKline can't help me, and the only option for help is a Discount Drug Card, which brings the cost of 180 pills to $400. Still pretty far out of my range.

The only possible help for me at this point is if my Employer (large state institution) will agree to cover the cost of this prescription, giving me the option to pay a slightly larger deductible than I would normally have, but still around $150. To be honest, I don't anticipate this happening. I'm making the request, but I'm not setting my hopes in this.

SWITCH MEDICATION: To get to an effective dose of Lamictal takes 6 weeks, you have to build up to the level I'm at now. To jerk me off this medication and put me on a new one will take time. And in that time, I will either go hyper crazy manic, or wonder about suicide depressive. I can't even imagine what will happen. The only possible bright spot is that I have sick leave if I need it.

Right now I have about 1 month's worth of drugs. If nothing gets resolved, I will have to take the generic. Or switch medication. Neither is a very good option.

Dear God, please please let me be able to afford the Lamictal. I'm so good on this medication, I'm so stable, it works so well. Please give the Benefits office a measure of generosity and charity to help me with this. Amen.

1 comment:

I'm Still Me said...

My thoughts are with you on this. I wish the Health insurance companies took better care to actually insure the health of their clients. I know how hard it can be to go off one of these and then start another, only hoping it will be as good. I hope you can stay on your current medication, so much.

Counter