Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Yes, but it's a LIE

I recently received this forward from my dad...he's late to the internet thing so I get all the goofy forwards that come his way.

His name was Fleming, and he was a poor Scottish farmer. One day, while trying to make a living for his family, he heard a cry for help coming from a nearby bog. He dropped his tools and ran to the bog.

This is the email that links Alexander Fleming, of the penicillin discovery fame, to Winston Churchill.

This forward is an urban legend. Snopes has a very good explanation for why this is false, and does an admirable job of giving a good bio of both Fleming and Churchill.

My aunt sent me back this email:

Hi, SMurF. It may not be true, but it's a good story.

Yes, but it ISNT true. It's a lie that is propogated. There is no basis in fact AT ALL. It's just a crappy forward. Creative, for whoever wrote it initially did an excellent job, but a lie all the same.

By its very definition, NOT A GOOD STORY.

No wonder my family doesn't know what to make of me.

No comments:

Counter