Thursday, March 5, 2009

Reading

I love to read. I like lots of different kinds of books, and over the years I've made several genre's my favorites.

But lately, and I'll call lately the last 5 years or so, I've noticed that my range is shrinking.

Specifically, after a hard or traumatic time, I'll pick up a book and read it over and over and over (repeat many times). To the point that I can skip 3 chapters, because I don't like what happened, so I skip to the parts I like. Now, I read the Harry Potter series over Ike. They are long books and it takes me awhile to get through them, so it was a good choice. But I seem to be stuck. And not on the series, either. I'm stuck on a single book.

When life was hard before I moved into my house, with all of the Mike/Michelle drama going on, I had one book that I read until the front and back covers fell off. I still have the book. I should probably buy a new one, that one looks pretty bad.  I still pick it up once in awhile.  And I still skip to the parts I like best.

After Chuck broke up with me I read the Janet Evanovich books, but at least I read through the SERIES several times, not just the one book.

Now, I'm stuck on Harry Potter, specifically #7.  I did read the series initially, but now I'm down to #'s 5, 6, and 7.  Then after awhile, it was just #7.  I read it so much that I had to buy my friend a new one, because I sort of wore out her copy.

Just recently, I went back to the Janet Evanovich Stephanie Plum series.  She's up to 13 now, so I should be good for awhile.

But HP#7 is still on my floor next to my bed.  Just in case... :)

2 comments:

NGS said...

I do the SAME THING. I have reread the HP series so many times. I get stuck on book 6, though, not 7. And the Death series by JD Robb. I read those books over and over again. And Sue Grafton's alphabet soup. I must've read G is for Gumshoe two dozen times!! Oh, I love you for your taste in genre fiction!!

Jolly Johnstons said...

Yup, I have the HP audiobooks on my iPod. It's my work soundtrack. Another good series to get hung up on is Orson Scott Card's Ender series. I must have read those books a thousand times and they never ever get old.

Counter