Tuesday, March 17, 2009

All things work for the Good...

As I got out of my car yesterday morning, I heard a very distinctive ssssssttttssssssssstttttt coming from my rear driver tire. crap. So I knew that when I went out at the end of the day I would have a flat tire. My friend Michelle graciously helped me change the tire. The lot was almost empty, and the campus cops "Don't help change tires..."

I called Firestone, where I have a Firestone card, and a $20 coupon, to have the flat fixed. Also, since I was the only one there, I asked for an oil change.

They closed at 7, Michelle and I got there at 6:30, we were going to go eat when they were done, because I didn't think we'd be able to get back by 7pm. First, they chose the fix the flat. Only, my spare tire was apparently the only good tire left on my car. The others were pretty worn, not bald yet, but definitely heading that direction, and one of my tires was dry-rotting. It was probably God's grace and blind luck that I hadn't blown that tire out on the freeway.

I had to buy 4 new tires, mid grade, not the cheapest, but not the $100/tire set, either.

THEN, they decided to do the oil change. Except they didn't have the correct oil filter for my car. It's now 7:15. They go to O'Reilly's for the correct filter, and by 7:45 they were done with my oil change. By the time I pay my bill and leave, it is 8:00. PM.

By the time I was done, my oil change and flat tire fix cost me $350.

Crap.

And, BTW, No one ever told me I need 4 identical tires on my car. I know when to get an oil change, when to change my transmission fluid, when to have the brakes checked out, when I need an alignment, how to determine my gas mileage, who to go to to check the Check Engine light is on, and a multitude of other things relating to my car, but I SWEAR, no one ever told me that the car needs 4 matching tires. I just figured, as long as they were all about the same grade, that it was all good. And apparently, Subaru's are especially sensitive to mismatched tires.

(sigh)

Dear God, thank you for givine me a flat tire, so that my crappy tires didn't blow out while I was going 70mph down the freeway in Large City Traffic. Amen.

2 comments:

NGS said...

Cars need tires?! Whaaaat?

But, seriously, I'm glad you didn't have a blowout on the highway, too!

sheree said...

oh no! Well at least you won't have to worry about new tires for a while!

Counter