Monday, February 2, 2009

:( turned into : )

Update: Annie is full of gas (no really!), she doesn't have kidney stones or a bladder infection, she has a severe UTI. YEA! well, Yea! it only cost $370 and not $1400, and yea! I didn't have to make the decision to put her down or spend a fortune, but not so much yea, I just paid $370 for a severe urinary tract infection. But YEAH! Who new I'd be glad to still have 3 cats?


So, not long ago I took my cat, Annie, to the emergency vet clinic for what we all assumed to be a bladder infection.

Saturday evening I noticed that she wasn't peeing again. I thought it was kidney this time.

Since all of the vets are closed on Sunday (WTH??) I took her first thing this morning. They took blood, and tried to get urine with a syringe, but couldn't. so they wanted to take an x-ray to look for crystals/stones in the kidney. I said ok. It was taken as she laid on her side. Then the vet showed me the x-ray. It looks like she's got a blockage in her intestine. A pretty severe one, by the looks of it. But the vet wasn't sure, she wanted me to leave her there, they'd give her a big dose of IV fluid and try to get some urine, then take a second x-ray of her on her back, to try to get a better view of her intestines.

Right now I'm at almost $400 for this cat, and that doesn't include what I spent at the emergency clinic. If she's blocked, it's between $800 and $1000 for the surgery, plus the $400. If I put her to sleep, I've just spent $400 on an animal that I'm then going to PUT TO SLEEP. Plus, I just spent $15 on revolution for her.

I don't know what to do. I don't really have the $1400 to spend, but it will break my heart to have to put Annie down. She finally made friends with me, would climb on my lap and let me love on her. I know I said I wouldn't mind if one of my cats died, but this isn't what I meant. I didn't mean a death because I couldn't afford the surgery to fix what was wrong.

I'm so glad that Sinatra died how he did. He died instantly, or very close to it. His neck was broken, he didn't feel much pain, he just died. And that's good, because I'm not sure I could have put him down. He was my baby, I loved him like a child. I'd have spent a small fortune to save him.

1 comment:

Jolly Johnstons said...

It's such a tough call, spending copious amounts of money on your pets. I don't know what I would do if I were in your situation. I know what I would do in mine, but that doesn't really count here. I'll be praying that you don't have to be the one to make a decision in the matter, but if you do that you'll have the wisdom and strength to do what's right. Whatever "right" may be.

Counter