Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Pets

I finally noticed monday night that my cat Annie wasn't peeing. She'd squat in the litter box, but producing nothing.

Remember when I said that I had wanted to leave early on tuesday? yes, well that was because Annie wasn't peeing and I wanted to take her to the vet. Totally forgot until I got home at 6:00. My vet closes at 7pm on Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday. Guess what time she closes on Tuesday. Yes, at 6pm. I called every vet for several towns. They ALL close at 6pm on Tuesday. You would think that One of them would see the flaw in this plan, and SOMEONE would be open late on tuesdays.

However, I have a little bit of Vet Tech experience, so I did a little at home diagnostics.

I couldn't feel a bladder, she was lethargic and slow-moving, and she would sit and try to pee for, I timed it, 5 minutes, then move to the next litter box and try again.

I was worried that this wasn't a bladder problem but a kidney problem. So I sucked it up and went to the Emergency Pet Clinic up the road.

2 1/2 hours, 29 miles and $156 later, I had a cat with a Probable bladder infection. The price didn't bother me too much, I had figured at least that much. And, I thought about it, if I had gone to my regular vet, it would have cost about the same thing, but I'd have just paid for different things.

So, I was given 14 days of antibiotics, a mix of clavamox and amoxicillin, and 4 doses of an anti-inflammatory.

If in 2 or 3 days I don't see improvement, she'll got to my vet for blood work.

And, once we were in the clinic, she was all perky and happy and looking around, she didn't look or act sick AT ALL, she wasn't scared or anything. Just very curious. damn cat, if she'd have looked like that at home, I wouldn't have taken her to the vet.

No comments:

Counter