Monday, December 8, 2008

One more post for today.

My mom's last CT scan showed another small spot of cancer, or pre-cancer, I'm not sure, anyway, found it deep inside her brain.

They prescribed a full brain radiation treatment.  Mom was VERY anxious, as to be expected.  I told her, and SIL, too, said that when the clinic told her when she was to have the scan, I would like to be there, that I felt that this was a big thing, and that family support was very important this time.

However, this past week passed, and with my toe being very painful, and the weekend very full, I didn't realize until today that it had been a week since I had heard from them.

I called home tonight, to have my Dad tell me that I was "Way behind things."

WTF?  Turns out that LAST monday, they had mom fitted for the mask thing that holds the head still during the radiation treatment, and that TODAY was the first of 12 treatments.

So I asked, a little roughly, WHY didn't they call me??  I had said that I would be there, and they should have let me know.

Mom's response?  Well, I'm a tough  old bird, and we did ok.  It didn't hurt like the last time.  It went really quick and easy.

And they WONDER how they raised 2 such stubborn damn kids.  I didn't really get across to them that it wasn't so much about them, as it was about me and SIL.  We wanted to show our support, to pretend to have something to do with this, to pretend that we can help in some tangible way.  But we can't.  We can't help ease the pain.  We can't help take care of her.  We can't make it all go away.  The only thing we can do is show them that we care, and love them, and try to take care of them when we can.  But DAMN! sometimes they make it hard!

1 comment:

Neurotic Grad Student said...

My father never calls. My sister never calls when my dad doesn't call. My mother clearly believes that one of them will always call me. Argh! I feel your pain!

Counter