Monday, October 27, 2008

Halo's and lab inspections

On Friday my mom had the single shot of radiation to the spot on her brain.

Turns out, the spot was on the visual region of her brain.

They gave mom an atavan to take in the morning, which she said was a Very Good Thing. The used local anesthetic to numb a spot, then screwed the halo to her skull. Mom said the worst part was that when the screws hit bone, you could hear it go crunch. Once again, atavan was a VERY GOOD THING. The halo had 4 screws. 2 went in correctly the first time, but the other 2 had to be repositioned, so mom had 6 little sore open wounds on her head. She said the halo was very heavy. Once the halo was on, it was easy, she just sat in a chair and the locked her head in place and shot the beam at the correct spot. Once it was done, they unscrewed the halo, put antibiotic on the screw spots, and they went home.

Mom is due to start 15 days of radiation today. She has pretty colored x's all over her chest and neck, blue and green and red and pink. I hope it doesn't make her too sick. She should be done in time for thanksgiving, but I don't know how up to it mom will be. Dad wants to do Thanksgiving at their house, but I think it would be easier on both of them to do it at Brother and SIL's. Maybe SIL and I can change his mind.

I don't think I'm going to take a seasonal job this year. Between trying to catch up on work and family, I don't think I'll have much weekend time free. Oh well, maybe next year.

I think that's it for today. We are having a lab inspection so that we can get back to work after Ike, and the boss is hovering around and driving me crazy, so I guess I'll go try to calm him down.

1 comment:

SUEB0B said...

All my best to you and your family. Sending long distance hugs.

Counter