Thursday, September 25, 2008

Hurricane Ike

So yeah, Ike.

I should start with the fact that my house had NO damage. No water damage, no wind damage, no rain damage. I sit less than 1/4 mile behind the levee in my town, not only did it break the storm surge, it also broke the strength of the wind. The tree damage in our area was all above 12-15 feet. No low damage. God himself put his hand over my house and protected it.

There was a small hole, 3'x3' in the roof of my garage, but it might give me a new roof for the garage, which would be ok, too.

I've had some friends lose everything, though. My friend that lives aboard lost her sailboat. Fortunately, she is able to get aboard and get her stuff off. And while the boat is totaled, it is still safe to get inside it and get her stuff out.

We had several people in our church that had a total loss in their houses. One was a young couple with a small child, they had 7-8 feet of water in their house, they lost EVERYTHING, baby pictures, clothes, keepsakes, you name it.

Several elderly couples lost all their stuff. It's one thing to start over when you're in your 20's, but how do you restart when you are in your 70's?

However, emotionally and physically, I didn't fare as well.

Since the bf didn't call me at all after Ike, I'm assuming that we are no longer dating.

Mom is still waiting for her appointment at the LCH, they needed her pathology reports from the initial cancer in '96.

I have fought off several fever blisters (I love the anti-viral ointments!!) only to have a rather large rash of SHINGLES erupt on my forehead. It's very attractive.

I got the boards off of my windows all by myself.

There is a 6' high by 5' long pile of brush in front of my house that mom helped me pile up last saturday. It as good for both of us, she needs to prove that she can still work and help around the house, and dad needs to learn to let her. Plus, I like to hang out with my mom, and she hasn't been away from dad for more than a couple of hours for MONTHS. I couldn't do it.

I think my boss is calling us in this week to help clean up and get started working again. This is good, but our animal lab, the place we do 75% of our work, the research that funds the vast majority of our research, is GONE. The basement of that building flooded, ruining the air handlers, the BSC's, the animal caging, watering system, it will take them MONTHS to get that facility together again. I don't know what we'll do in the meantime. I'm hoping the new building on campus will absorb us, but no telling at this point.

Thank you, God, for protecting my home, family and friends. Give us all peace. Amen

No comments:

Counter