Wednesday, August 27, 2008

The Plan: The outcome

Michelle and I had already planned to take most of friday off, so we decided to take friday off.

We could have gone to the concert, but it was just the two of us, and it wasn't really Michelle's kind of music. We could have gone camping and tubing at the site that bf had already reserved, but it wasn't really worth it. The point was that there were supposed to be a group of us, not just the 2 of us. Besides, if it was just the two of us, we DID NOT want to camp, but then it seemed like a colossal waste of money to go to the town and NOT use the campsite that was already paid for, but to pay MORE money for a hotel room.

It actually made me look VERY good, because I had told Dr. C that I needed to be gone by 10AM, and I made a real sacrifice by staying until noon.

Both Michelle and I were pretty upset. For me, I was very disappointed, but Michelle was mad. We started out on River A in a cheap hotel, and ended up at River B camping. And then, once we made our peace and decided that we'd have fun no matter where we were, he cancelled altogether.

Michelle and I went to a movie in the afternoon, The Dark Night. It was pretty good, but a little long for me.

We met some friends for a drink at 6. Michelle took matters into her own hands. She decided that we would go to the local water park. We invited some friends, in fact the original group of friends we had invited to go tubing, to go with us.

Michelle and I decided to go early, we got to the park at 10:30 AM, and we stayed until 7 when the park closed. It was so much fun. We rode the rides, we floated the "river", we drank a little beer, I brought my cheap water-proof camera and took all 27 pictures. Michelle brought her SPF 50 sunblock, and I have a very nice golden glow. A little bit too much sun on my left shin, of all places. Not the right one, only the left one.

BF and I have made our peace.

He had no way of knowing that this was a HUGE trigger for me. My dad used to do that crap ALL THE TIME, promise us some neat thing to go do, and then back out of it at the last minute. By the time I was 10 or so I had figured out that I didn't get excited about something until we were in the car on our way. So the fact that we did all this planning and he backed out at the last minute REALLY UPSET me.

For his part, I think he was disappointed by his friends, mad at work, and worried that I would be disappointed by the whole thing, so he just withdrew entirely.

Considering that this could have been a very large pothole in the road, I think we've managed it ok.

2 comments:

Eileen said...

I've always had a lot of problems dealing with changes of plan once I've got it set in my mind that it's going to be a certain way, so I really understand your feelings on the matter! I'm glad you managed to have a good time in spite of the frustrations of the earlier part of the weekend - and that you were able to speak to the bf enough to reach some kind of understanding. I have to admit that I would have punished DH a bit first, myself...

Sounds like one of those Growing Opportunities (can you feel your character building?)

Eileen said...

Oh, btw - re the cuticle/infection issue. I use an antiseptic made w/tea tree oil ("Tea Tree Therapy Antiseptic Solution with Tea Tree Oil and Lavender" - gotten at Whole Foods Market, but probably any tea tree oil antiseptic solution would do - just don't put full strength tea tree oil on skin, it needs to be cut with water or some other solution), and that works great on nail/cuticle related infections... this from a person whose body does *not* fight off infections well.

I find that the antibiotic creams actually make nail-related infections *worse*... I think maybe because there is a fungal component or something that makes that area need air, need to stay dry rather than moist in order to stay healthy.

For what it's worth...

Counter