Tuesday, August 12, 2008

More from My Dad

I don't think I've written about this (& I'm a little lazy, and don't want to look it up), so if I have, then you get to skip today! and if not, then, you must submit an abstract with revisions by Friday... :) That was science humor... oh, that wasn't funny? Oh. Ok.

Where was I?

Oh yeah, my dad. So, many years ago, my dad picked up a cancer policy from AFLAC, because he had smoked 2+ packs a day for more than 30 years, so he figured he'd need it. Then, because he's my dad, he also added mom to the policy. Mom got cancer first, it paid nicely. Dad got cancer, dad paid more attention, and it paid off NICELY. Mom got cancer again, dad is paying VERY CLOSE attention, and it has PAID OFF NICELY. However, mom kind of thinks of this as her money, it being made off of her cancer.

So, I'm pretty sure this upcoming event was initiated with mom, but I appreciate it no matter where it came from.

My dad wants to pay for a contractor to come in and make my 1 car garage into a 2 car garage with a utility bathroom and washer/dryer connections, and redo my bathroom and kitchen.

I've been sitting on this for a couple of weeks. This is a BIG project, and he raised me a little too good, because I'm a little hesitant to take that much money from my dad. But, at the end of the day, I will LOVE having it done, and will greatly appreciate the gesture, and if he wants to do it, I'm a bit loathe to stop him. Plus, if he decides he wants it done and I'm not doing it, he'll just go around me, and I want my voice and my opinions counted.

So, about 2 weeks ago, I started getting contractor information and started trying to get some bids on this project. I thought a $20,000 project would get a bit of attention, and that I'd have a hard time narrowing it down to 3 or 4 contractors to do the estimates. But OMG, I've had the hardest time getting contractors over to my house to do the estimates! I've contacted 1 company twice, and never even got a return on my messages, which I left with a person, not on a machine. Last night I finally got a guy to come over, he's a small contractor, but he didn't set off any warnings in my brain, and if I can help a small company get a start, I'd do that. However, he came over, looked around, and then told me he'd have to come back and take measurements on the garage, and THEN he'd have an estimate for me. WHAT?? Wasn't that WHY I asked you to come over and Make me and estimate?

Barring a rainout, I have another contractor coming over tonight, then again thursday afternoon, and then I got a call this morning from a company I hadn't contacted. I had called Home Depot to see if they would recommend any contractors, and they couldn't officially, but the Pro Desk guy must have called a buddy, because this man called me this morning, and he's going to come next tuesday and make a bid for me then, too. When it rains, it pours. So, at this point, I will have 4 estimates of what all this work should cost.

I'm beginning to get excited. This will be a major pain in the rear as it happens, but it will be AWESOME when it is done.

No comments:

Counter