Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Prescription copays

OMG.

My mail-in copays for my prescriptions went up this past year. I was complaining mightily (to myself mostly) about How was I going to pay for it? I'd had a hard time sometimes last year getting those co-pays paid. I looked at my account, I owe them $75 right now. Then I looked at what the plan paid. $571.37 for ONE PRESCRIPTION. One. A single 3 month supply. Let's extrapolate that. $571.37 for 3 months x 4 refills in a year = $2285.48. For ONE of my prescriptions. That breaks down to about $191 per month.

The other one I take is also a name brand, they pay $480, I pay $75 for each 3 month supply.

Oh. My. Goodness.

If I didn't have insurance, I wouldn't be able to be on these medications, I would have a hard time holding down a job, which meant when I didn't have a job, I wouldn't be able to afford the medications, which meant I wouldn't be able to hold onto a decent job....
That's a wicked downward spiral.

I know America's health care system needs help, but I'm at a total loss as to how to fix it. I'm not sure nationalized health care is the answer, but I don't really know what else the answer could be. Maybe government regulation of certain prescriptions?

But then, drug companies aren't working on drugs like new antibiotics, or new short term mediciations, they are working on long-term maintainence drugs that people have to take for years, this gives them the maximum profits for their time invested.

God, show us a better way, a way for all people to get the medical help they need in a timely manner.

No comments:

Counter