Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Youth

My cousin, who is only 21, is down in my area for Spring break. She is with 4 of her friends. I took them out to eat, for 2 reasons: 1) Young, spring break, thought I'd save them some drinking money and buy them a meal, and 2) I haven't had time in several years to just sit and talk to my cousin.

It was an interesting and fun evening. They discussed where they lived, jobs, guys, driving down here, the Time-Share condo they're in, tattoos, piercings, and life in general.

3 of the 4 girls have decided to get a tattoo while they are down here for Spring Break 2008. They have all decided to get a small tattoo on the back of their foot, at the heel. OUCH! Cousin is worried her dad will see it, as her dad told her that if she came home with a tattoo he would stop paying for her college. I told her she could totally use me as an excuse..."But COUSIN Found the tatto parlor, and Told us who to have it done by". I'll back her 100%, and laugh while I do it. I have 2 tattoos, and she's an adult, so I have no problem with it, and I like the idea that I've corrupted my cousin. :)

And while these young women are fun to hang around with, (and I promised I'd go out with them drinking either tonight or thursday night) and they make me laugh, I do not envy them, or want to be that age again.  I envy the freedom they have at the moment, I envy their perky breasts, and unlined eyes, their youthful enthusiasm and belief that they really can do anything they want.  But I look back on these last 10 years, and I have no desire to do it again.  The lesson's I've learned have been hard, but well learned.  I'm finally in a job I love, and I'm GOOD at.  I am at peace with myself, with who I am and what I look like.  I have enough money to get all of what I need, and most of what I want.  I have a nice little house, good friends and family, and I have to say, for the most part, I am at peace in my world.

Lord, Thank you for showing me all that I have, for the years that I've already lived, and the ones that are still coming.  For the lesson's that I've learned, and hopefully won't have to relearn, and for the ones that hopefully will come a little easier as I age.  Amen.

No comments:

Counter