Tuesday, February 5, 2008

That's a BIG needle!

I've been sick for a couple of days...alright about 6 days. Ear ache, runny nose, crusty eyes, sore throat. I thought it was just an ear ache, so I gave it a few days to run its course. Didn't work. I was surviving on generic Advil and Sudafed. Finally, monday I gave in and went to the urgent care clinic, because I couldn't get an appointment with my PCP. No fever, but I've been on advil every 8 hours for 6 days now, so no surprise there. He looked in my ears, yes, the right one was pretty infected. Looked in my throat, and said wow, very inflamed (REALLY???). He asked if I've ever had a strep test, he thought it might be strep. He took this nifty test kit, a long tube with some substance in the bottom, and 2 q-tips on 2 sticks, rubbed the 2 sticks on the back of my throat and on my tonsils, told me the test took about 10 minutes. Very CSI, it was cool. Anyway, he came back in the room about 3 minutes later.

Me: Wow,it must have been REALLY positive.

Doc:(laughing) yes, it turned positive right away. So, you can get oral antibiotics, or to get a shot of penicillin. You'll need 7 days with the oral, or 48-72 hours with the shot.

Me: (Before he was done with the question) Shot, please!

Doc: (a little shocked) Really? Are you sure? It kind of hurts.

Me: Bring it on. I don't have time to be sick for another 4 or 5 days, I need to be at work and functioning as quickly as possible.

Doc: Sure you aren't allergic to penicillin?

Me: I never have been in the past. Bring it on.

Nurse: Ok, I have to give this in your hip.

Me: (dropping my drawers) Will it hurt?

Nurse: Yes. It's pretty thick, and so we have to use a big needle, and there's a lot of it.

I was shocked! There was about 3ml of this thick white fluid in a syringe with a 18 gauge needle. No wonder it hurt! I'm also pretty sure it was mixed with Aluminum Hydroxide, which is what I use as an adjuvant in my mice. That makes the solution a very viscous, thick solution. I will be so much nicer to my mice in the future. They will be fully anesthetized before I do any AlOH injections.

I jumped when she put the needle, and it hurt going in, but OMG, do I feel better today. I stayed home from work today, because I'm still a little contagious. I slept this morning, and I'm ready for bed tonight, but I'll be able to sleep flat. I sleep much better when I can sleep flat on my stomach. First time in more than a week that I'll be able to do that.

Totally going for the shot next time. It hurt temporarily (well, ok for about 12-18 hours at the injection site), but the results are so good.

1 comment:

The Johnstons said...

Owie. I probably would have done the oral antibiotics because I'm a wimp.

Counter