Thursday, February 7, 2008

The Passover feast

Mark 14:13-16 (New International Version)

Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society


13So he sent two of his disciples, telling them, "Go into the city, and a man carrying a jar of water will meet you. Follow him. 14Say to the owner of the house he enters, 'The Teacher asks: Where is my guest room, where I may eat the Passover with my disciples?' 15He will show you a large upper room, furnished and ready. Make preparations for us there."

16The disciples left, went into the city and found things just as Jesus had told them. So they prepared the Passover.

This was part of the reading from church last night for the Ash Wednesday service. As it was read, I wondered about the owner of the house. What kind of divine intervention was it that his house should prepare the passover, and then have other people come in and eat it? Do you suppose he knew who was going to be in his house? Maybe he had prepared the feast, then the original guests cancelled, but he already had the feast ready, so when the apostles came up to him he was ready? Or maybe it came to him in dream, that he should prepare the feast, and that there would be guests to eat it? Do you think that, if his household knew who was in the room, that they were listening at the door? Do you suppose he kept it a secret, or that later he told others who had been in his house that night? Was it a Mary/Martha kind of day? Do I clean my house or prepare myself for the Messiah?

Anyway, this is another of those times that the bible doesn't give us the complete back story, but it was interesting to think about. There's an old story about an old lady who sees in a dream that the Lord is coming to see her on a given day, so she cleans her small house and makes a pot of stew, and waits for the Lord. The first knock is a small lost cold child, so she feeds her, warms her, and takes her home. The second knock was a beggar with no shoes, so she feeds him and gives him some warm clothes. The third knock is a tired traveller, so she gives him a place to rest. That night in her dreams, she asked him Lord, why didn't you come today? The Lord said I came 3 times. I was a lost child, I was a homeless beggar, I was a tired traveller, and you served me 3 times today.

Do you suppose this was a Serve the Lord moment for that man that day? The Lord said in a dream, Prepare the Passover feast, and I will come. Do you suppose he went to bed that night and asked, Lord, why didn't you come? The Lord said, I sent you my Son.

Dear Lord, help us to look for You always, and in all ways. Give us faith to trust that You are where You say You are, and that You will do what You say You will do. Amen.

No comments:

Counter