Friday, February 1, 2008

Lenten Sacrifice

Every year I try to give up something for Lent. It has varied in the past from easy, to darn near impossible. Last year I tried to fast every wednesday (as a sort of remembrance of Ash Wednesday). I lasted 2 wednesdays, then I failed. Not surprising, but I thought I'd have a little more self-discipline than that. Oh well. I have also given up coffee, caffeine, sodas, sweets, chocolate, meat, and tv, all to various degrees of success.

This year, however, I think I'm going to try to give up something I have been meaning to do for some time. I have, in the past several years, developed quite a potty mouth. Like, it's gotten pretty bad. And I have several friends with small children, and I hate that I sometimes cuss in front of them. In a burst of inspiration this year, I am going to give up cussing. I'm hoping that 6 weeks will break me of this rather immature habit, and make me sound much more intelligent and more like the Christian I am.

God, please help me watch what comes out of my mouth,just as I watch what goes into my mouth. Amen.

No comments:

Counter