Friday, February 29, 2008

Babysitting

My obnoxious grad student and I were having a circular conversation this morning.

I say that if I put an event on the calendar, and everyone signs off that they have seen it, and it REMAINS on the calendar, it therefore becomes everyone's responsiblity to know that said event will be happening at the specified day and time, and that each person knows his/her tasks related to said event, and that they should arrive that morning fully prepared to proceed with said event.

She says that since I'm in charge of the event, and that since not everyone looks at the calendar regularly, that I must email everyone several days in advance of said event to remind them it is happening, and what their job is.

Also, the current and approved protocol has been inserted into the calendar information section, and if you have a question about a protocol, you should reference this protocol. I send this out with the original calendar event, and if I update it, I send out a copy, stating the correction.

She says I should make sure that everyone has a current copy of the protocol a couple of days before the event, just to make sure that everyone has the copy.

I'd like to get other people's opinions, so please, leave a comment and let me know what you think. Am I being overly optimistic that an adult in a given job should not be told multiple times that an event is happening? or should I just suck it up and babysit everyone along the way?

1 comment:

The Johnstons said...

I think said grad student should act their age. Five year olds are competent to look at a calendar and anticipate what is ahead. Chocolate advent calendars anyone? If someone SIGNS OFF and ACKNOWLEDGES said event is occurring at certain certain day and time, it becomes THEIR responsibility to be prepared for it. If you keep babysitting them, they won't learn because they don't have to.

Counter