Thursday, January 17, 2008

Work Rant

As readers of this blog would know, December was a very hard month for my family. As such, I was not at work all the time, and often when I was at work, my mind wasn't fully on what was going on.

As the lab manager, I am in charge of ordering and receiving goods in the lab. For each order, I print out 2 copies, one goes to my purchasing office, the other stays with me. As orders come in, they have a receipt on top. I match that receipt with my order sheet, record the PO#, and file according to the account I ordered it from. This way, if I have an order in my Pending file that is several weeks old, I can get in touch with purchasing and find out what's going on. Was it a mistake on my end? Purchasing? Vendor? 3rd party vendor? Receiving? Occasionally I get behind, and I have a separate file that I can put Receipts in and match them up to orders at a later date.

Now that my mind is clearing up a little, and I'm back at work, both physically and mentally, I have been going through my pending file. I'm not sure why, but there are 3 or 4 order forms from january and july 2007 that have already been received and closed. This must have been done one day when I was absent, and something needed to be ordered so they found an old order form to use as a template, but what on that page, or how many, was never recorded. {sigh} Nice. I also have 5 or 6 receipts, but no order forms to go with them. I have NO idea what was ordered, who ordered, when it was ordered, when it was received, whether or not the PO was shipped complete, nothing.

Now, knowing that at some point in time people in my lab would need to order things, and I wouldn't be around to do it, I have shown everyone how to order things. I have a folder on our S: drive called...(wait for it)...ORDERS! Yes. In that folder are Excel files, one for each company. I think there are 70 files now. In each excel file, there are sheets with ALL previous orders on them. All you have to do is go into the file, erase all of the items you DON'T want, print 2 copies, leave one on my desk, and take the other to purchasing. The prices are in there, the cat#'s, the previous quantities, and even previous Account #'s used. I've tried to make this as simple as possible. And yet...I have several orders from december that haven't been received, and I can't find a record with purchasing that the items were ordered, and I have 5 or 6 receipts, but no orders to go with them. Sometimes I wonder how these smart PhD's manage to actually get their research done, recorded, and published when they can't even ORDER SUPPLIES!

No comments:

Counter