Tuesday, January 8, 2008

My cat is a whore

Last May my beloved cat, Sinatra, was hit by a car and died. In truth, it was as clean a death as possible, his neck was broken and he died instantly. However, it was extremely hard for me, as he had been my constant companion for 7 years,5 moves and 4 jobs. He had a particular personality quirk, he didn't like people. He was 2 or 3 years old before he'd let my mom touch him. I always knew that when I was gone that it was ME he missed, because he wouldn't let anyone else pet him or touch him, and he didn't purr for anyone else. Just me. He was all mine, and I was all his.

After his death, I was strong-armed into taking 2 adult cats, about 7 and 5 years. They're very nice cats, but they don't have the attachment to me that Sinatra had. Annie in particular will allow just about anyone to pet her. Heffalump is a little more reserved, but you can tell that she wouldn't miss me very long if I gave her away. About a month after getting Annie and Heffalump, in a moment of weakness, I agreed to take a foster kitten. He was very tiny, very rowdy. His name eventually became Howler. He howls. alot. and loudly. in the middle of the night. Anyway, I had thought that I would have that special connection with Howler, but alas, I was wrong. I was gone the week of Christmas, and a friend of mine took care of my cats while I was out of town. I came back on the 30th, loved and hugged and cuddled and petted my cats, but apparently not enough. Because when friend came over on the 31st for a little party, Howler jumped right up on her lap and purred so loud everyone in the room could hear it. He hadn't even done that with me. I was even kind of jealous and put out. damn cat.

(sigh) My cat is a whore.

No comments:

Counter