Saturday, August 4, 2007

Yesterday, I took a chance to make a new friend and asked MK, another tech in our department, to lunch. We've talked several times in the past, and we got along OK. Together, we invited a third tech, PS, and the lab manager from our collaborating lab, KW. We went to a nearby local restaurant and had a great time. I've been, I guess, a little resistant to forming new friends. New friends mean a chance of getting hurt. They mean opening myself up to more people, letting more people into my comfort zone. In the not-to-distant past, I've been a poor judge of character, and I let people in that ended up hurting me deeply. They left scars that are still trying to heal. Then, redemption in a single phrase. We were discussing what we were doing for the weekend, and I mentioned that I was the president of my churches LWML group, and we had a meeting saturday morning. PS asked, "What's LWML"? "Lutheran Women's Missionary League, we are a service organization that works in the Lutheran church." , then a smile, "Wow, that's really cool!"

Something hard inside of me fell away. Part of a wall was broken with a single heartfelt phrase. Yeah, I think what I do with LWML is cool. I'm part of something larger than myself. We make an impact on the world, personally, locally, regionally, nationally, and globally. Whether by small gifts to a nursing home, or mites for the National convention, my small part is as necessary as anyones. I think that is really cool. And I like the idea of friends who think so, too.

Dear Lord, thank you for the gift of friends. Thank you for the discovery of new friends, and for the renewal of old friends. Amen

No comments:

Counter