Wednesday, August 29, 2007

The end, and beginning, of the year.

It is the end of our fiscal year. It seems right that the year should start and end at this time...new semester, new medical, nursing and graduate students. New projects are being funded. Our accounts are being reset, so we don't have access for a couple of days. It's kind of like driving, knowing you are almost out of gas, but not sure quite how many miles you have left before the car dies. Of course, this only lasts for a couple of days, but it's still a bit disconcerting. Money is almost never a problem, if we need or want something, we get it. Even sometimes kind of frivilous stuff, we get that, too...I have the BEST label maker.

I have tried to plan better this year, I've tried to keep our consumables in stock, we have all of the tissue culture stuff that we'd need, all of the chemicals that we use are stocked. Of course, I can't plan for all eventualities, so I'm certain that on Monday, someone is going to come to me and say, "But I need this tomorrow?!!?!!" And I will (want to) say, "Tough shit, you should have planned better than that. Remember this for next year!" In reality, we will go to other labs and see if we can mooch off someone for a couple of days. Because I'm a good lab manager like that.
I'll probably make a good mother some day, too.

No comments:

Counter